Monday, June 3, 2013

MALAYSIA Sat-Sun, June 1 - 2





            Back at sea today after two days visiting in Malaysia. We left the busy Malacca Straits Traffic Lane to berth for our first visit to Malaysia at Port Kelang. Tours from here set out very early for Kuala Lumpur, and passengers didn’t get back till after Sailing Time at 5.30pm. Of course we didn’t sail till they got back –very tired after such a long, busy day.
            There was virtually nothing at Port Kelang so we (Bruce and I) took our new wheelchair on the shuttle to the huge shopping centre twenty minutes away at Kelang. When I say ‘huge’ – I mean ‘HUGE’.  I have never seen one as big, and I’ve seen a lot of shopping centres. Avenues of shops and stalls stretched further than the eye could see on four floors – with lots of twists and turns. It was very easy to get lost. Lifts were tucked off the main drag just here and there, and when I took a lift up or down I was never where I thought I would be.
            We explored a large supermarket where we found fruits we had never seen before in the fresh food department, and Bruce went off to buy his obligatory two bottles of ‘red’ in the liquor store down the back. I talked to some ladies demonstrating instant coffee.  This came in capsules with milk and sugar already incorporated, and you just added hot water. Samples- especially the ‘Hazelnut’ variety - tasted quite good but I had misgivings about the ‘milk’ which must be that ‘whitening’  powder.
            After lunch I left Bruce sitting somewhere and went off wheeling myself in the chair to explore a bit. That’s when I really got lost. Up in a lift, along a bit, and down in another lift. In all that time the only thing I saw that I’d like to buy was an iPad cover on a stall. I had my trusty ‘Australia Post Pay-as-you-go Visa Card’ with only A$200.00 on it so I had no misgivings about using it. But – the stall-girl could only take cash, and I had none. Off I went again.
No idea where I was. Starting to feel desperate, and thinking if this went on I’d maybe miss the ship. Asking people for directions to stores I remembered passing. No help. Really feeling quite desperate. Then in the distance I saw him in his blue Hawaiian shirt – a stand-out among the less colourful crowd.  (Where had all these people come from in this area that seemed far from anywhere?)  Bruce had found some massage chairs where you got a very relaxing three minute work-out for only 1RM note (a Malayan Ringitt – worth a bit over A$0.30c).  He wanted me to have a go too, and I relaxed at last as I was pummelled and massaged by the chair.
Overnight we sailed in a Northerly direction up the Mallacca Strait to the Island of Langkawi by the next morning. We docked at the end of a very long causeway a few metres wide to the land at the other end. Buses for the excursions were waiting at the other end, but the weather was overcast and humid. From our cabin balcony we saw the passengers heading to the buses along the causeway as the rain began to pour down. Thunder and lightning and more rain. Very wet people. The buses began to crawl along the causeway and line up at the ship’s end of it.
We decided we didn’t need to go ashore in the wet as we had no excursion, and the shuttle didn’t go very far along the coast to an aquarium of some kind.
We had a quiet day on board and even missed the Clint Eastwood afternoon movie which started at 1.30 instead of the usual 2.30. So a quiet day of reading and afternoon tea in the really good light at a table under a window in the Horizon Court on Deck 14.
Our friends at table confirmed what we thought about touring in the rain and wet everywhere. They were late back and didn’t even manage lunch all day.
We thought our quiet day of sitting on the balcony and reading was pretty good. 
Now four days at sea on the way to Mumbai.   
             

No comments:

Post a Comment